|Photo - Food Network|
- "The new decor is great but I never went for that reason. If you want a great breakfast with everything done the way you want (crisp bacon, extra crisp hash browns with onions), this is the spot. Unless the place is jammed, the service is friendly and timely."
- "This place is great. It's not a dive. It's not fancy. Nice, middle of the road, comfy place. The food is great. Especially breakfast! The staff is friendly. Service is quick. I go here every time I'm in Saugatuck."
- "We had breakfast here on Saturday morning and we are glad we stopped in. The breakfast buffet was great. So many choices!"
- "The Kalico Kitchen looks very nice. The numerous decor details were fun, but the dirty bathroom was not. Clean that up too. The formerly testy staff was very nice and when above and beyond to serve well."
- "So the service was lousy and the food was a mix of good and bad, but mostly bad. I get a very similar meal at a restaurant in my hometown for about $3.50 less and the service is outstanding. There are far too many restaurants in the area to waste your time on this mess."
- "The service sucked took 20 plus minutes just to get a menu. After me and the two others I was with ate there we all ended up sick. I will NEVER return to there!"
- "There is so much BAD to be said about this restaurant, it is hard to know where to begin...This young lady was so upset because she expressed to us this happens all the time. The owner decides to change the prices without notice and does not change the price on the menu and customers complain. She starts crying and the woman manager comes over and asked her "Why are you crying?" She replies because this is upsetting and I have to explain the price changes to customers all the time. The Mean manager tells her I'm not worried about it so why are you"
- "First time visit, so disappointed. Service is poor. The food is awful. The TV show makeover is not helping a bit. Highly not recommend at all! keep away from this restaurant! Don't waste your time and money! "
- "This was the WORST place ever!!!!! The food was under cooked. We were never ask what do we want to drink...... Don't waste your time going to this place."
Kalico Kitchen has had many more bad reviews than good reviews since Restaurant Impossible came to visit. This should be an interesting episode judging by the descriptions of the owner Catherine, who is also known as "Big Mama" according to the Kalico Kitchen website. Kalico Kitchens seems to still have big problems with their service, as there are many complaints about it. There were also a lot of complaints about poor food and the higher prices. The review about the owner changing prices and many customers complaining about different prices being charged than those on the menu was pretty interesting too. Kalico Kitchen does keep an up to date Facebook page, which shows they are trying. They have been open since 1977, so hopefully they can turn things around after the makeover, but it doesn't look like they are off to a good start.
UPDATE from 8/1/2013 - Check out this VERY LONG post from the Kalico Kitchen Facebook Page where they said they were told to leave the grease on the kitchen floor until Restaurant Impossible came. They also claim Robert and crew were sitting around eating and drinking beer while volunteers did all the work. Sounds like they didn't like how they were portrayed on the show, and now are on the attack. They were advertising the air date and very excited about the show up until it aired, so they obviously didn't like how they came across.
UPDATE 12/2013 - Kalico Kitchen has closed due to financial issues, as well as health department issues. More Information about the closing.
*Visit Our Restaurant Impossible Update Page to see all Restaurant Impossible Updates, and which restaurants are open, closed, or have been sold. Also Like Us on Facebook and Follow Us on Twitter