Monday, December 11, 2017

Mario Batali Is The Latest Celebrity Chef Accused of Sexual Misconduct

Eater New York released a story today where four women came forward to accuse Mario Batali of inappropriate touching over a period that spans at least 20 years.  Eater New York did dozens of interviews to validate these stories which include an employee accusing Mario Batali of repeatedly grabbing her from behind and holding her tightly against his body. "Another former employee alleges that he groped her and that, in a separate incident, he compelled her to straddle him; another alleges that he grabbed her breasts at a party, though she no longer worked for him at the time."

After details of these accusations came out, Mario Batali stepped down from his restaurant empire and ABC's The Chew has asked Mario to step away from the show while they "review the allegations that have just recently come to our attention."

Mario is quoted in the Eater article stating, "I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family."

After these stories surfaced, other chefs began to weigh in on Twitter such as Anthony Bourdain and Tom Colicchio.  Tom Collicchio said that "no one should be surprised."  He later explained Mario Batali's behavior was well documented in Bill Buford's book Heat.


Earlier this month it was announced that Mario Batali would be returning to Food Network with new episodes of his hit show Molto Mario.  Six episodes were already filmed and they were scheduled to be on Food Network in early 2018.  Food Network hasn't commented on these allegations yet, so we will have to see if the new episodes of Molto Mario are ever shown.

UPDATE - Variety is reporting that Molto Mario's return is on hold and has a statement from Food Network that says, "Food Network takes matters like this very seriously and we are putting relaunch plans for Molto Mario on hold."

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Guy's Big Project Winner Crowned Tonight

Photo - Multivu
Tonight at 9pm ET/PT on Food Network is the season finale Guy's Big Project where the winner will win their own Food Network food road show.  The final two contestants on the show are Zane Caplansky and Rashad Jones. On tonight's show, Zane and Rashad will make their pilots with Guy Fieri who then sends them to Food Network to decide who will get their own show.

Airing right after the finale is an hour special of Guy's Big Project that has the description of "After an unexpected outcome, Guy Fieri reveals what comes next."  Also a more detailed description of the episode says, "In this one hour special, see the pilot from the winner of Guy's Big Project, which demonstrates their particular passions and the skills that they learned over the course of the show from host and mentor Guy Fieri."

I will update this post with the winner with the winner after the episode airs.  We will have to see if the winner actually gets a show or just the pilot that airs after the finale.  The ratings for Guy's Big Project were pretty low for a Sunday night show on Food Network, so that could play into the decision making.

Continue Reading to see winner

Friday, December 1, 2017

Worst Cooks In America Returns January 7th - Anne Burrell vs. Tyler Florence

Photo - Multivu
Worst Cooks in America is returning to Food Network on Sunday, January 7th at 9pm ET/PT and this season will be Anne Burrell vs. Tyler Florence.  Anne and Tyler will each lead a team of cooking-challenged recruits and the contestant who makes the most impressive transformation will win $25,000 and bragging rights for their team mentor.  Worst Cooks in America is one of the highest rated shows on Food Network, so no surprise that it is returning for another season.

Anne Burrell has been on every season of Worst Cooks in America and has competed against Beau MacMillan, Robert Irvine, Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, and Rachael Ray.  Tyler Florence is trying to beat Anne after losing to her two years ago on Worst Cooks in America.

The competitors this year are: Brandon Arroyo (Cleveland, Ohio); Steven Crowley (New York, New York); Kayrene Curtis (Rocky River, Ohio); Jonathan Farhat (Livermore, California); Lily Frey (Anaheim Hills, California): Asaf Goren (Los Angeles, California); Robyn Hayden (Charleston, South Carolina); Sylvia Jefferies (Charleston, South Carolina); Hazell Mckenzie (Brooklyn, New York); Priscilla Nguyen (Hattiesburg, Mississippi); Skyler and Spencer Nick (Wauconda, Illinois); Kevin Pettice (Charlotte, North Carolina); Shatima Ruffin (Yorktown, Virginia); Sharon Shvarzman (Staten Island, New York) and Lacey Stout (Owasso, Oklahoma).

If you are interested in reading the contestant bios, episode descriptions, or reading the press release, here is a link with all of that info.