|Photo - Food Network|
- "Coming from New England, we were always looking for good seafood; Portu-Greek was recommended for their clams. We have been regulars ever since. Their fried clams, clam chowder and steamers are better than most places in New England...Now that Robert Irvine has spruced up the place and was wise enough not to change the menu, the décor is as good as the food"
- "When I heard that this place was redone by Restaurant Impossible, I had to come see Robert Irvine's handy work. The inside of the restaurant is beautiful! They did a great job. Staff is friendly and the Greek salad was pretty tasty :)....Anyone rolling thru Hudson, FL should check this restaurant out!"
- "Recently completely remodeled with an improved menu! Whole Belly Clams and "Saganaki" (Flaming Cheese) are GREAT!"
- "This visit was a vast improvement. Food great, and more than ample servings. Service great. Decor much improved. Clams (whole) better than any I have ever had in Florida and at least as good as any in Ipswich, Ma or Portland Me. Maybe better. Going back soon."
- No negative reviews since the Restaurant Impossible makeover
Other News and Links:
- Here is the Portu-Greek Cafe Facebook page, which is kept up to date.
- A week before the makeover, all of the volunteer spots to help out were already filled. (Link)
- In an article shortly after the makeover, it said that owner Jordan Lindiakos "pestered the network for two years before the show's producers took notice." He was happy with the makeover stating, "This is better than hitting the multimillion-dollar lottery. It's priceless."
- Here are 7 restaurant inspections for Portu-Greek Cafe, with the most recent being in 2010.
- The restaurant had new hours starting in May (a month after the makeover) and started opening for lunch. They also started opening on Sundays for brunch (Link)
- Portu-Greek Cafe is already listed For Sale. Here is the listing, which states "Waterfront Restauraunt or Commercial Investment Space Available. This 5 unit commercial building has been converted to a 3 unit commercial building. The property is zoned C2. This is a great location on a canal and is near Hudson Beach. The location has high traffic and high visibility. There is parking on site and most of the units are currently rented. The building currently has a restaurant which has been completely remodeled that will go along with the sale. Restaurant also for purchase independently. If sold with the restaurant, goodwill, and fixtures included. Convenience store occupies the other unit and has been operating at this location for close to 15 years. The remaining unit is vacant. The property has a great income earning potential. Make your appointment to see this property today!"
- The listing also said the property was listed for sale in June 2013 for $450,000 and the price was raised (or re-listed at a different price) on May 28, 2014 for $625,000. A $10,000 renovation resulted in an increase of $175,000?
There were not too many reviews of Portu-Greek Cafe since the Restaurant Impossible makeover, but the ones that existed were all positive. Even the reviews before the makeover were positive and all of the people seem to like the food. A few reviews said something about the location, so it may not be in the best location.
The fact that the restaurant was trying to get on the show for two years, and the fact that they are listed for sale with an increased price makes you think that they did the show for a free makeover with the hopes of increasing the value for their property. I guess the only ones that know for sure are the owners.
*Visit Our Restaurant Impossible Update Page to see all Restaurant Impossible updates, and which restaurants are open, closed, or have been sold. Also Like Us on Facebook and Follow Us on Twitter