|Photo - Food Network|
- "Went for dinner on a recent Saturday night. We were greeted warmly and were seated promptly. Our server was knowledgeable and friendly....A wonderful meal. We will definitely return."
- "I had the filet mignon, and my husband had the Benner Street burger. Food came out quickly and it didn't disappoint. Two thumbs up."
- "I love the new Benner Street. I had the crab patty and it was the best I have ever had. The new menu is exciting and different. The service was impeccable. I highly recommend it!!"
- "Went here last night fresh off of the Restaurant Impossible taping. Best meal I have had in years....Highly recommended and will be going back as soon as possible....I would give the new menu and food a 10/10 if it were an option!"
- "Good food but way too expensive..This restaurant is in a run-down neighborhood, you have to walk through the bar to get to the restaurant area, the tables/chairs are old....but still the bill was over $80 (no drinks other than water, no dessert, and the only "extra" was 1 bowl of soup) -- this isn't New York or even the Promenade shops! We all agreed won't go back or recommend to friends."
- "We were a party of four. We took guest, and I was beyond disappointed!
All dishes had to be pre cooked. Within ten minutes of ordering all the meals were delivered to our table. To make matters worse, every thing was at best warm."
- "Poor dining experience. Revised menu is pitiful-adequate at best for a pub but nonsense for a fine dining establishment. WE HAVING BEEN COMING TO BENNER STREET FOR 15 YEARS. I AM SAD TO SAY THAT WE WILL NOT RETURN."
- "The menu was paired down significantly and not in a good way. It is unfortunate that what was once a very good restaurant has lowered itself to this level.....Bring back the quality! Robert Irvine should be ashamed. Used to eat here often until quality dropped off I feel sorry for the owners."
- "All I can say is we were all totally disappointed in the "new" menu as were patrons seated around us! Very limited upscale menu that will not fly in their location.... Food was good but not what we wanted. Bring back some of your best sellers and at least add a pasta dish to the menu. Will not go back unless the menu changes."
- "A group of us came here after this place got renovated and revamped (group of 8 - perhaps too big for this place to handle?). I will NEVER go back. Gosh, where can I start...?.....The service was horrendous....The FOOD was atrocious..... For what they charge, I expected to at least enjoy it somewhat, especially after waiting for so long.....If anyone knows about decent dining they would suffer as much as I did here. Nicer restaurants in philly charge about the same but at least you will get a good meal out of it."
It seems like the negative reviews outweigh the positive reviews after the makeover, and the main complaints seem to be the smaller menu and higher prices. The menu is more upscale than normal Restaurant Impossible restaurants, and by looking at the menu, I don't think prices are that bad for that type of food. However, it may be the location that does not warrant the higher prices and upscale food. The reviews pre-makeover seem to be a bit better than post-makeover.
It should also be interesting to see the fire drama on the episode tonight, and if it seems real or manufactured. It will probably be something minor as the restaurant opened on time after the makeover.
UPDATE - Benner Street has been sold and will close in the summer of 2014.
*Visit Our Restaurant Impossible Update Page to see all Restaurant Impossible Updates, and which restaurants are open, closed, or have been sold. Also Like Us on Facebook and Follow Us on Twitter