Tonight on Restaurant: Impossible, Robert Irvine is going to Rising Sun Bistro in Kalispell, Montana which recently moved locations from Whitefish, Montana. The restaurant is facing many problems, such as: a chaotic kitchen, an uninspired decor, $500,000 worth of debt, and three owners that do not get along. As I normally do with Restaurant: Impossible episodes, I searched around the internet to read stories, comments and reviews about Rising Sun Bistro to get an idea of how the restaurant is doing since Robert Irvine visited, and here is what I found (note - all reviews and comments are post Restaurant: Impossible):
- "Love the fact that they use local and organic food! Usually busy, but not a long wait. Have great lunch, and french press coffee!"
- "Great little spot and a treasure of a find in Kalispell. This french bistro reminded me of my stay in France, the decor, the food. Everything was good. Prices and food are great."
- "Very impressed with the food! Big fresh burger! Beet salad just okay. And hopefully the champagne for mimosas improves :) we'll be back!!"
- "I came here twice during my stay in Kalispell, once for lunch and again for breakfast. Both meals were very good. For lunch I had the pate sandwich, which was rich and delicious, with a side beet salad and a lemonade. I absolutely LOVED the beet salad, and the fact that they offered something other than the standard chips or green salad option. Our customer service was also superb."
- "The management has made some needed changes to this place. The food was great and the staff was friendly attentive. I would recommend eating here to any of my friends."
- "The interior is very nice since the "RE-DO". However our server did not know the menu and had to return to the kitchen to get answers for our five questions. The wait for our food was very long….There is a charge for separate checks! (come on!!)"
- "For the most part the RI treatment was positive but on the day we were there the service was pretty poor. It took quite a while for us to get menus and there was very little eye contact with our servers throughout the meal - they were heads down and didn't seem happy to be at work…..So would we go there again? Maybe. But we wouldn't go out of our way to go there again."
- "Sadly not only had things not changed the restaurant looks worse and was even more uncomfortable then before…. From the tasteless chicken salad to the rude wait staff to the dead flowers and plants everywhere the terrible service and extremely long wait, it was nothing short of terrible.… I fear this lovely building will soon be empty yet again."
- "The service is exactly the same, very in attentive and slow. :-( Don't let the lure of the old location make you hungry... our past experience was not so good!"
It seems as if the reviews are mixed for the Rising Sun Bistro, and that the customers like the fresh, organic food. However, it seems that service is still lacking with many complaints about it.
The Rising Sun Bistro moved into the spot that was once Knead Café, a restaurant that served breakfast and brunch. Rising Sun Bistro also moved from touristy area of Whitefish to Kalispell, so there is a different clientele. The higher priced food in Whitefish seemed more well received due to the customers being tourists, rather than locals as they are in Kalispell.
Rising Sun Bistro had a restaurant inspection in June of 2012, in which they received a C+ grade, which is ‘poor to marginal sanitation.’ They must display this grade on their door. The reason for the C+ grade were:
- Grade card not posted on door
- Inadequate heating of food
- Holding equipment not adequate for maintaining temperature
- Potentially hazardous food not thawed by approved methods
- Food employee hair not restrained
- Sanitizer at inadequate strength
- Non –food contact equipment not maintained clean
More details of the inspection and violations can be found here (page 13 of 17, or 6 of 8 if you are looking at the header). We will have to see if they have taken care of these issues when Robert visits tonight.
UPDATE 11/2013 - The Rising Sun Bistro is listed for sale for $499,000 -> Link
*Visit Our Restaurant Impossible Update Page to see all Restaurant Impossible Updates, and which restaurants are open, closed, or have been sold. Also Like Us on Facebook and Follow Us on Twitter