The Positive Reviews:
- "Dropped by the whistle stop while on a business trip and i would have to say it was the best! Got a sample of everything on the buffet and all was fantastic. the service was prompt and the waitress was very down home."
- "The place looks really nice, cheap, but nice. With new lights that blind you if you look up from your plate....Now to the good part... Lunch Buffet was ONLY NINE BUCKS! Of course it was loaded with lower cost Veggie's, but still had three proteins for the meat eaters.....Service was very friendly as I would expect in Hot Springs. Glasses refilled quickly and before you could hit bottom. Dirty plates taken away before you could return from a round at the buffet."
- "The interior was nicely done, brighter, more open and cleaner. The wait staff was courteous and cheerful - meeting us at the door and providing friendly service. ...Fried and boiled shrimp, meatloaf, catfish ( fried and baked), ribs, lots of veggies and more. All of the food was good, but wasn't " o my God, " great. For the price point it was a tremendous value. If you are looking for a country style buffet with simple food choices and a fair price point this is a good choice."
- "The food was delicious. The price very reasonable. I would recommend The Whistle Stop to everyone. They have a wonderful buffet as well as a full menu."
- "The waitress was very friendly and answered our many questions about the makeover and the people from Rest. Imp. Do go; the food is very good and worth the price. We fed 4 for aprox $45. We will definitely go again and again as long as it stays this tasty."
The Negative Reviews:
- "Now the down side....... Hush Puppies sucked. They were BURNED and should never had been taken out of the kitchen. They did not burn and char setting on the buffet. The Buffet needed to be stirred so items on bottom do not burn and everything is heated...Same story on the catfish...bottom pieces very hot...top pieces much cooler."
- "Terrible...Restaurant impossible didn't help them very much. Its quite a turn off when you walk in and see a buffet and they seat you and don't even offer you a menu assuming you want the $9 buffet. The price would be worth it if the food was good."
- "My wife and I stopped in for the lunch buffet today and sampled every item they offered. We did not find anything that was properly cooked and/or seasoned....Not only would I not go back and spend $9 for a buffet like this, I wouldn't go back if you paid for the meal and offered to give me the $9 to eat it. Guess this one really is a RESTAURANT IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!"
It appears that most of the people have had good things to say about Whistle Stop and that they like the buffet and the value that it brings. There are many good reviews about the catfish on the buffet and most have said the service was good and the owner is friendly. The few negative reviews it has received seem as if they were people visiting just because Restaurant Impossible was in town and didn't know what to expect. Most people who come to a buffet restaurant are usually there for the buffet, and when paying such a small amount of money for it, should not expect filet mignon.
What do you think about the Whistle Stop? Think the owner and restaurant has what it takes to make the restaurant a success?
UPDATE - The Whistle Stop has Closed
Reviews taken from Yelp, Tripadvisor, and Urbanspoon
Image Courtesy of Food Network