The Positive Reviews:
- "Go eat here! The new Restaurant Impossible changes have made this place awesome"
- "However I must say that the homemade french fries were excellent. My wife enjoyed her chicken tenders. We got a lot of food for the price we paid....Overall, I'd say the place is "okay", it wasn't bad but I was not impressed (except for the very friendly service). The prices were average, the decor was so/so, the quality of food was mediocre (however the quantity was great)....Would I give the Oleander another try?....maybe, but I would not hurry nor go out of my way to return."
- "We were there for dinner a few Fridays ago and had the best fish fry that we've had in ages!!!"
- "The bacon cheese fries were DEEEELISH! Big enough to just be the meal"
The Negative Reviews:
- "We ordered fish frys....The fish was overcooked. The beer battered was very dry. I did like the breading on the fish. But very dry. The whole menu is very limited. Not impressed with the choices. Will probably not return."
- "I was looking forward to the french fries... Only to realize it's more like sponges filled with grease cut into the shapes of french fries... My medium burger was more like a charcoaled hockey puck. The roll was stale (my guess, their solution to that problem is toasting it.) The fish sandwich my coworker got was obviously of the frozen variety. Same stale issue with the roll. =[ After weeks of my coworker hassling me about ordering from there, I finally decide to, and BAM! Instant bad decision. I wish I could take the food back (that is now partially digested) and ask for my money back. No wonder it only cost 20$..... From now on, I will be dining at the Beef and Barrel instead of wasting time and money on the Oleander."
- "We looked at the menu and we were disappointed in the limited options available. I know that Robert Irvine is loves short condensed menus, however as a customer, I prefer restaurants with a wider variety of menu options and I'm likely to dine at a restaurant more frequently that offers more choices. I don't care what Robert Irvine says: I think a one page menu is too short."
- "We were there Wednesday. Four of go out once a month and this month it was the Oleander. Only a few people at 6:30. Menu was simple but a lot of variety. Service was pretty good. My wife asked the waiter what the steak was marinated in and he didn't know. The lobster bisque soup was cold, we had to send it back to be reheated. The mashed potatoes were cold and we had to send them back to be reheated. The food was very good, well seasoned, only cold. There are only two desserts on the menu and both were fantastic. We will go back."
Before Kelli and Abby bought the restaurant, it was called Breadstix Cafe, which was at one point seized by the State of New York because the owner owed back taxes. There were not too many reviews of the Oleander, so this is a small sample size, but it seems as not too many are impressed with the restaurant so far. Most of the positive comments came from the Oleander Facebook Page, and although the last review complained about the food being cold, those customers would go back. The recipes that Robert went over with them are still on the menu, but it looks like they still have some kinks to work out as far as food and service.
Reviews courtesy of Urbanspoon, Foursquare, and Facebook
Image courtesy of Olean Times Herald
UPDATE 11/2013 - The Oleander Bar & Grill has Closed. More information on the closing.
*Visit Our Restaurant Impossible Update Page to see all Restaurant Impossible Updates, and which restaurants are open, closed, or have been sold. Also Like Us on Facebook and Follow Us on Twitter